Bitterroot Home Wildfire Preparation Presented Saturday in Hamilton
A full day of information, history and tips on how to protect your home from wildfire will be on tap Saturday at the Bitterroot River Inn and Conference Center in Hamilton.
The free community conference is called “Wildfire and Home Preparation: How fast can your home run?” and includes over a dozen speakers.
The sessions will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., according to Byron Bonney of Bitterroot RC&D and FireSafe Montana. A variety of topics will be presented:
- Backyard stewardship
- Forest health problems such as insects
- Local fire history and fire behavior
- Air quality concerns in Western Montana
- What to expect this fire season
- Lessons learned from last year’s Sawtooth Fire
- How to insure your property
- Building an emergency preparedness kit
- Mitigation opportunities and area programs
With the Bitterroot snowpack levels below normal and uncertain rainfall predictions for the summer, this day of information could be invaluable. Bonney also said those who attend can sign up for a free home/property assessment.