Camping Places on the Bitterroot National Forest During Memorial Weekend
The traditional opening of camping season is here and the Bitterroot National Forest has opened almost all campsites in the valley.
- Most water systems are not operating, so bring your own drinking water.
- "Pack it in, pack it out" is the rule for garbage.
- Be careful around streams that are experiencing high water levels.
- Be prepared for changing weather conditions, cold temperatures.
- Don't drive on soft and muddy roads. Report any bad road conditions.
- Do not leave a campfire unattended. Coals should be cool to the touch.
- There is a 16-day stay limit for the campsites.
General notes on each Ranger District:
- Darby/Sula Ranger District (406) 821-3913
- All the Como Lake campgrounds are open.
- The Lake Como Boat Launch dock is installed.
- Lake Como requires a $5 day use fee (or a $30 season pass).
- Lost Horse Road is closed 5 miles west of the Lick Creek Road.
- Stevensville Ranger District (406) 777-5461
- Bass Creek Recreation area has water and trash services.
- Blodgett Campground does Not have water service.
- Gold Creek Campground may still be closed due to a trailer fire cleanup.
- West Fork Ranger District (406) 821-3269
- Many trees were blown down at Sam Billings Campground. Work continues on cleanup, though the campground is open.
- Nez Perce Pass is open to Paradise Campground.
- Magruder Corridor is not open. It still has snow and severe road damage.