Cucumber Salad with Bacon, Apples and Fresh Parsley
The only thing I love more than cucumbers is cucumber salad. I’ve had a few different versions – one with cucumbers and tomatoes soaked in salt water and mixed with sour cream. Then I have had a vinaigrette version with cucumbers and red onions soaked in apple cider vinegar. They are both simple and delicious options. However, the other night, I decided to create a few spicy tuna rolls (sushi) for dinner, and wanted to pair them with a complex cucumber treat. I found this recipe on RecipeClips. Check out the other recipes on the page too. There are some good ones!
- 3 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 slices bacon (I used really thick cut bacon, which I thought was amazing. I will also be adding more bacon next time, as admittedly that was my favorite ingredient. So, if you are a bacon lover, use a few extra slices.)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated on large holes box grater (I used our box cheese grater, and it worked great.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spread cucumber slices in single layer on paper towel-lined baking sheet; refrigerate for 20 minutes. Combine onions and vinegar in bowl, and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Whisk sour cream, cilantro, cumin, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together in large bowl. Add cucumbers, carrots, and onion-vinegar mixture, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Serves 4 to 6
This salad is great right after you make it, as long as it is at least slightly chilled. However, I had leftovers the next day, and this salad was even better! All the flavors had a chance to mature and I like my salads a little “mushy.” I expected a complex salad and that is what I got. Do not be intimidated by adding the apple, as the tartness of the fruit really brought out the sweetness of the cucumbers. My fiancé is in love with plain cucumber, tomato and sour cream salad and he even ate a heaping size mound and went for seconds. Eat up!