Energize Your Morning – Blueberry, Orange and Lavender Smoothie
I know, I know – Blueberry, orange and lavender sounds like a crazy flavor combo, but trust me on this one. This was my breakfast of choice when I would need to go into the office during the wee morning hours. I’m not sure what it is about the ingredients, but it was always a kick in the pants and gave me more energy than a Red Bull. This smoothie takes quite a few ingredients, so I found that buying in bulk really helped to cut costs. I have always just made this smoothie without exact measurements, so I found this recipe especially for you.
- 1 cup ice
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and chopped into chunks (it doesn’t HAVE to be frozen, but it makes the smoothie colder and more refreshing).
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lavender buds, chopped (You can find these at The Good Food Store, and I have seen them on occasion at Orange Street Food Farm)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Fresh lavender sprigs, to garnish
- Combine ice, banana, mandarin oranges and blueberries in a blender or food processer. Process until finely chopped.
- Add yogurt, honey and lavender. Blend until smooth.
- Taste; add more honey as needed, and gradually pour in almond milk to thin as desired. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh lavender sprigs.
Make-Ahead Tip: Blend smoothie as directed, omitting the ice. Portion single serving sizes into re-sealable, freezer-safe cups and freeze. Transfer one to the fridge the night before, and it’ll be thawed by morning.
You have to try this smoothie at LEAST once. I’m willing to bet you will start replacing your morning cup of coffee with this healthier choice.