Fire Outside Downtown Missoula Micro-Brewery Caused by Discarded Cigarette [AUDIO] [DOCUMENT]
It was a discarded cigarette that caused a fire a little after 10 a.m.on Friday outside the Flathead Lake Brewing Company, located at 424 North Higgins Avenue in downtown, Missoula.
Battalion Chief Kip Knapstad said the fire started in the alley behind the micro-brewery.
"The first units on the scene found a moderate amount of smoke coming from the basement," Knapstad said. "The crews made entry and found a small fire that actually started outside the building that burned inside the building in the basement area, and they quickly knocked it down."
Smoke then billowed throughout the building.
"We used our fans to evacuate the smoke out of the building," Knapstad said. "Damage to the structure was estimated at about $2,000. The assistant fire marshal determined that the cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette."
Knapstad said the brewery planned to open for business by late Friday afternoon.
Assistant Battalion Chief Kip Knapstad