Update – Group Home Fire Caused by Cigarette [AUDIO]
A group home for developmentally disabled adults was badly damaged by a fire on the roof and in the attic area early Sunday evening.
Assistant Battalion Chief Joe Toth says all the residents were safely evacuated from the building, and that the Missoula Red Cross has provided temporary housing. Toth says the fire was severe enough that the entire roof and attic area will have to be rebuilt, and that firefighters had to pull down parts of the ceiling to get at the fire. There is a great deal of water damage, as well, Toth said.
A fire crew will remain on the scene all night in case any hot spots are discovered.
Fire Investigator Hughes has determined that the fire was caused by an improperly disposed of cigarette, and the estimated damage to the home is over $100,000.
Assistant Battalion Chief Joe Toth