Many Montana owners of motorboats, sailboats and personal watercraft such as jetskis have permanent registration numbers for their craft, but this year they need to get more decals.

According to a news release from the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks, even with the permanent decals, owners need to get boat validation decals every three years at FWP regional and area offices. The first year for the permanent decals was 2011. That means a new decal is needed for the period 2014 to 2017.

The good news is that they are free.

As long as you have a boat registration receipt (issued by your County Treasurer) you can get the three-year stickers at the FWP offices.

If you are registering for the first time, you need to visit the County Treasurer first.

For more information, visit the Montana FWP website or call (406) 444-2535.