The City of Missoula is accepting applications to fill the Ward 2 position on the City Council that has been vacated by Harlan Wells. Deputy City Clerk Kirsten Hands says applicants can apply online or at the City Clerk’s Office, but there are requirements that need to be met before applying.

“In order to be eligible for the office they need to be a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the state of Montana,” said Hands. “They need to reside in Ward 2 for at least 60 days prior to the appointment and they need to be a qualified elector registered to vote and eligible to vote under state law here in Montana. They also need to be 18 years of age.”

According to Hands, the duties of a City Councilor are to represent the citizens in their ward to the city. She explains who will choose the new City Council member.

“It will be the city council members, the majority of the city council members for the filled seats,” Hands said. “Since Harlan is stepping down that seat is vacated. We will have 11 active city council members and we will need a majority of those members. At least six of those members will need to agree on an appointment.”

It is free to apply and applications are due January 5 by 5 p.m. The position pays $1,215.80 per month plus city benefits.