Nick Checota Strikes Again – this Time at the Public Library
You've likely seen the construction of the new Missoula Public Library progressing over the past few months, the plan is to open the doors in July of 2020.
The library will now include an art space for kids, thanks to local promoter Nick Checota and his wife Robin. Last week, the Checotas pledged $50,000 to build a children's art space that will be on the 2nd floor of the new library, according to capital campaign co-chairwoman Mae Nan Ellingson. Earlier this year, we reported that the new library will also include a huge STEM DNA Climbing Structure and research lab.
According to the official website for project updates:
The new library will represent Missoula’s core values. It will be a life-long learning hub for Missoula County; a permanent anchor of downtown Missoula; and a popular cultural destination for western Montana’s many visitors.
- 109,000 approx. sf: five levels, including increased parking
- Innovative partnerships with Children’s Museum Missoula/Families First, UM spectrUM Science Discovery Center, & Missoula Cable Access Television
- Collection growth from 200,000 to 550,000 eventual items
- Increased and improved access to learning tools and resources
- Tripled capacity for computer access and faster internet
- More public gathering spaces and meeting room flexibility
Nick Checota and Logjam Presents are currently working on the new $100 million Riverfront Triangle Project that will home a new civic center for Missoula.